Blog logo, you're not missing much

Serving the Acoustics Community Since 1994

Cross-Spectrum Acoustics Inc. offers Sound & Vibration Consulting Services

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat

Apr 12, 2010

From a Washington Post real estate column:

If it becomes necessary to prove that you have a problem, you should retain an acoustical engineer, at your expense. This professional can determine whether the noise in your unit is within the acceptable decibel range. The engineer should also inspect the upstairs unit, so he can provide suggestions as to how to resolve the problem.

I appreciate a referral as much as the next person, but unfortunately the time to take care of noise problems in a condo is before things are actually built and people have moved in. You can hire us after the fact (and I’ll be happy to take your money) but chances are there will be little we can do absent major structural renovations.

If you are moving into a multi-family structure and you have concerns over noise, don’t just ask if the builder took noise into account because the answer will always be “yes” (and the builder may even sincerely believe they’ve mitigated noise). Ask for test results (specifically Field Sound Transmission Class (FSTC) and Field Impact Insulation Class (FIIC) ratings. Major deficiencies are going to require ripping apart and rebuilding walls, floors and ceilings so you should be sure before you sign on the dotted lines and move in.

permanent link