The subwoofer pieces assembled before glueing:

front of sub box under construction rear of sub box under construction

I was actually surprised that the pieces fit so snuggly. I had expected that at least one of my cuts would be off, or not be square. I guess those shop classes at MIT paid off after all.

As you may have noticed, I cut all the holes prior to assembling the enclosure, contrary to the belief that you should assemble first, then cut the holes. My reasoning was that I didn't want to spend the time glueing the pieces, then mess up when I was cutting the holes. Cutting the holes first also allowed me to position the pieces when I was glueing them.

I can't stress enough how the wood dowels helped in assemblin the enclosure. I would strongly recommend that anyone who builds speakers use dowels or biscuits both for strength, and to aid in lining the pieces up.


The finished product:

Finished subwoofer
Finished subwoofer
Finished subwoofer
rear of finished subwoofer

This sucker is heavy. Easily 90-100 lbs, and takes two people to move. The smooth finish doesn't help, but the inset rear panel at least gives one something to hold on to.


Back to my speaker project